Review

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins - Partly Spoiler Review | Sign me up for paranormal boarding school

June 03, 2015



Name: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall #1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Publication Date: March 2nd 2010
Format Read: Ebook
Publisher: Hyperion
Rating: 



Synopsis
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

Review:
I read this whole book in one sitting, which does not happen often. It was extremely fast paced, the story was interesting and though the "boarding school for supernatural creatures" concept has been used thousands of times already, the way it was executed by the author made it seem unique.

I don't think I have ever seen many different supernatural creatures under one roof, chatting (or fighting) casually in a YA book before. I liked that there were witches, werewolves, shape shifters and a vampire and not only one species.

I really liked Sophie as a character. She is very similar to Rachel Hawkins' other main characters: sassy, wise, humorous and lovable. I liked the way she handled situations and did not crumble under pressure. The language she used reminded me of the language I use and her sarcastic comment made me laugh out loud many times. I did not like Archer from the beginning. He seemed like the typical A-hole guy whom everyone likes and has a bitch for a girlfriend we see in a lot of YA books. Yet, I really enjoyed the sarcastic comments back and forth between him and Sophie.

I liked Jenna as soon as her obsession with the colour pink was mentioned. I knew she wasn't going to be the monster of a vampire everyone else imagined she was. I liked that she was not a sidekick but more a main part of the story and I felt sorry for her towards the end. And then we have Elodie. Where do I begin. She is a typical mean girl, trying to mess everything up for the new girl who happened to enjoy exchanging witty remarks with her boyfriend (Archer). I didn't like her at all. Every time she was mentioned, I felt like throwing the book at the wall. I would have done so, but I was reading on my Kindle. Elodie was still a step up from Archer.

Overall, this book was an incredibly fast read with a mix of good and bad characters. I would recommend this to any YA reader, definitely give this a shot! Bear in mind this is the second time I'm reading this as I wanted to refresh my memory before I read the sequel. A ★ read for sure!

SPOILER ALERT! PLEASE DONT CONTINUE IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE SPOILT!

At the beginning, I found it really sweet how Sophie tried to help the girl get a date to prom and I was so disappointed when it backfired. I liked that she had good intentions. I liked her reaction when it did: "Oh Crap." And the way she described Hecate when she first arrived was hilarious! Sophie's comments had me laughing out loud a lot. Rachel Hawkins knows humour very well.

When Sophie and Alice met, I found something suspicious. A ghost of her great great grandmother appears and she just follows her and learns magic from her. I did not guess she was the demon but I didn't like Sophie's naiveness at the point.

As soon as Sophie and Archer got Cellar duty together, I knew they would kiss eventually. I was just like "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" because I JUST DON'T LIKE ARCHER. AT ALL. When we found out  about Archer being part of the eye, I was happy, since I had a valid reason to hate him.

My favourite part fo the whole book was probably when they had to make the dress for the dance and she found out that her dummy was messed with. She removed the spell and boom, she made a beautiful dress. The part when she kept making awful dresses was funny, and when she made the dress for Jenna it was amazing! I could just imagine the dresses. Great description!

That. Ending. I. Cried. Out. I said out loud "SOPHIE ARE YOU INSANE! YOU CANNOT DO THAT! NO NO NOOOOOOOOO!"

As I said before, I loved the book and I cannot wait to dive into the next one.

-Rekha



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D