Review

Lying Out Loud by Kody Keplinger - Partly Spoiler Review | Hamilton High is hard to forget

June 22, 2015

Title: Lying Out Loud
Author: Kody Keplinger
Series: The DUFF Companion Novel
Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: April 28th 2015
Format Read: E-Arc provided by Netgalley
Publisher: Scholastic
Rating: ★★★★★
*I would like to thank Netgalley for providing me with an E-ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review*


Sonny Ardmore is an excellent liar. She lies about her dad being in prison. She lies about her mom kicking her out. And she lies about sneaking into her best friend's house every night because she has nowhere else to go. Amy Rush might be the only person Sonny shares everything with— secrets, clothes, even a nemesis named Ryder Cross.Ryder's the new kid at Hamilton High and everything Sonny and Amy can't stand—a prep-school snob. But Ryder has a weakness: Amy. So when Ryder emails Amy asking her out, the friends see it as a prank opportunity not to be missed.But without meaning to, Sonny ends up talking to Ryder all night online. And to her horror, she realizes that she might actually like him. Only there's one small catch: he thinks he's been talking to Amy. So Sonny comes up with an elaborate scheme to help Ryder realize that she's the girl he's really wanted all along. Can Sonny lie her way to the truth, or will all her lies end up costing her both Ryder and Amy?


I read the DUFF during Summer 2014 and I loved it! It was so easy to read and the characters were relatable. The story was interesting and realistic. Lying Out Loud didn't disappoint.

At first, I didn't really like the fact that Sonya (Sonny is the nickname but I prefer Sonya) was such a huge liar. She lied about things she didn't need to lie about. Silly, small, white lies which were a tad frustrating. But then I found out more about her and her family and my reaction was "oh.." I really liked Sonya. She kind of reminded me of  Madison from the DUFF but not as mean. I really liked her character but I didn't like how she was always comparing herself to Amy.

Amy was my favourite character. She was so cool and nonchalant all the time. She was also so adorable when she was shy. I loved how everyone said she was so beautiful and she didn't flaunt that. She was very modest and kind and I know it must be hard to have such a pushy best friend like Sonya. I loved the friendship between Amy and Sonya. It was just so natural, and Amy didm't seem like a sidekick at all. The only thing that annoyed me at times was that Amy was too trusting and naive at times. Otherwise, she was great.

I really loved Ryder. I know a guy who always talks about how great his old school was and how our school isn't good enough, and it's hella annoying, but I got to know him and he wasn't a bad kid after all. It's just like what happened with Sonya and Ryder. Ryder was just so sweet at times.

I will say that the fact that Sonya likes Ryder, but Ryder likes Amy but Amy doesn't like Ryder and Ryder only likes Amy because Ryder thinks he talked to Amy even though he talked to Sonya is a bit frustrating. I was so afraid that this would ruin Amy and Sonya. I was just reading with bated breath.

This book was such a great read, and I definitely think you should pick it up. Especially if you enjoyed The DUFF. It was just so much fun going back to Hamilton High. Kody Keplinger's writing is really easy to read and you'll probably get through this book in a couple of hours.

THIS IS THE END OF THE NON SPOILER PART OF THIS REVIEW. PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK. 


BYE BYE IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK



WE GOT TO SEE WESLEY AND BIANCA AGAIN! WOOHOO! I really loved seeing them again. After I watched the DUFF movie, I just needed more. AND WE GOT MORE! Wesley was just such a great big brother and he was so sweet to Sonya. And I am so glad we got to see Bianca and Wesley together, as a couple. They were so cute. 

Wesley Rush gave love advise. Our Wesley Rush. Wesley freaking Rush! I just couldn't stop laughing at that part. I never thought Wesley would be giving love advise, or any advise for that matter. He's such a great big brother and friend. LOVE him so much! 

I am so happy that Sonya wrote to her dad and they started talking again. It must have been painful and difficult but I'm glad they got the hard part over with.

When they were composing that woe about Sonya not lying again, I was so happy! FINALLY! Sonya realises she has people in this world who she can trust and people in the world she can share anything with. No need for lying :D

-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D