List

The guide to pursuing your summerfluffiotis | Contemporary reads

June 08, 2015

Hey guys. Today I thought I'd recommend some of my favourite contemporary novels!



Title: The Summer I Turned Pretty (Trilogy)
Author: Jenny Han
Publication date: January 1st 2009
Contemporary Fluffiness: 75%
Contemporary Romance-ness: 101% (Yes I mean 101)
Contemporary Cuteness: 93%
Contemporary Darkness: 25%
My Rating: ★★★★★
Why I Recommend it: This is about Belly, who is usually not the centre of attention when it comes to boys, especially her crush, Conrad (Whom she spends most summers with). But over the year, she has changed and turned pretty. Suddenly, she has Conrad, and Jeremiah (Conrad's brother) competing for her attention. And a whole lot of other sh*t goes down too. I recommend the whole trilogy, not just the first one. I really love the characters and plot. I was constantly changing which brother I supported.  This was one of the two only love triangles I actually liked.

Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Publication date: April 15th 2014
Contemporary Fluffiness: 98%
Contemporary Romance-ness: 100% 
Contemporary Cuteness: 98%
Contemporary Darkness: 3%
My Rating: ★★★★★
Why I Recommend It: This book is about Lara Jean, who writes love letters to al the crushed she's had. She has lost interest in all of them. One day, all of the letters get mailed out. She has to find out how, and what feelings she might or might not have for Peter Kavinsky, Ex-Crush and one of the letter recipients. I loved Lara-Jean's close relationship with her family. I loved little Kitty. She might be bratty but she made me laugh out loud so many times! I recommend this book and the sequel (and conclusion to duo-logy) P.S I Still Love You.


Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publication date: April 8th 2014
Contemporary Fluffiness: 20%
Contemporary Romance-ness: 48%
Contemporary Cuteness: 20%
Contemporary Kick-assery: 200% (Yes I mean 200)
My Rating: ★★★★★
Why I Recommend It: This book is not your typical contemporary book. From the cover, you might think that this book is about some girly girl's high school life but it is not. It is about Harper Price, who's teacher kisses her in a girl's bathroom on Prom night and then dies. The kiss transfers the teacher's paladin powers to Harper, who is set out to protect her sworn enemy, David Stark. I mean, how can you not! I recommend the entire trilogy (even though the last book is not out yet. I know its gonna be A-MA-ZING.



Title: Anna and the French Kiss
THIS BOOK IS NOT ABOUT KISSING 
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publication date: December 2nd 2010
Contemporary Fluffiness: 100%
Contemporary Romance-ness: 100% 
Contemporary Cuteness: 100%
Contemporary Darkness: 0%
My Rating: ★★★★★
Why I Recommend It: The title is incredibly cheesy, but this has a really great story! It's about Anna (Le Duh! See what I did there? French? Le? No? Okay...) who starts attending SOAP (School of America in Paris) and meets √Čtienne St. Clair. I promise this books does not have a lot of kissing in it! This. Book. Was. So. Damn. Cute. Like. Seriously. Read. It. Now.




Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publication date: September 10th 2013
Contemporary Fluffiness: 100%
Contemporary Romance-ness: 80% 
Contemporary Cuteness: 10000000%
Contemporary Darkness: 5%
My Rating: ★★★★★
Why I Recommend It: This book is about Cath(er) and Wren who are twins (Get it? Cather Wren = Catherine!) Cath feels betrayed when Wren doesn't want her as roommate, and Cath is a bit of an introvert. This book follows Cath's adventures, meeting new people and having new experiences. Including Levi AKA the BEST male protagonist EVER! READ NOW!!!!!





Title: Eleanor and Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publication date: February 1st 2013
Contemporary Fluffiness: 80%
Contemporary Romance-ness: 80% 
Contemporary Cuteness: 80%
Contemporary Darkness: 30%
My Rating: ★★★★★
Why I Recommend It: This is not your average contemporary. Yes, ultimately, it is a love story but it has certain darker elements to it which set it aside from the rest.
Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life, her mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she couldn't stick out more if she tried. She comes from a family with an abusive dad who hates her.Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black T-shirts, headphones, head in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor... never to Eleanor. He comes from a loving family. They fall in love, but will it work?
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D