Review

The Elite by Kiera Cass - Spoiler Review | The annoying side of America Singer

June 09, 2015

Title: The Elite
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #2
Genre: YA Dystopian
Publication Date: April 23rd 2013
Format Read: Ebook
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: ★★★★★


The synopsis will not be included as it contains spoilers for book 1. This whole review will contain spoilers about the series so please do not read it unless you have read books 1 and 2. 






This book was when I began to see the annoying side of America. I mean, she constantly wanted things from Maxon, but what did she give back? She told Maxon that she wanted him, and then told Aspen that she wanted him. She was playing them and I did not like that. And the decisions she made in this book were... ugh. She was quite annoying, but I really love the story and plot and everything else so I had to give it 5 stars.

I am still team Maxon all the way. There is no way that is changing. I mean, that poor guy has to bear with people like Celeste! I still don't understand why Celeste is still there. I mean, I wish she'd been eliminated. I was so frustrated when America and Maxon's relationship was broken for a while. And I hate how Maxon was always the one saying "I'll give you time. I'll let you decide. I'll be waiting." and America always pushes him away and gives him a hard time whenever she doesn't get what she wants.

I also think that Kriss is going to betray America. That conversation they had about only being in this for the win, and that they could not root for each other was... revealing about Kriss's true character. I don't think America should trust her. After all, Kriss got very, very close to Maxon, and I almost cried when America almost went home and Maxon almost chose Kriss. I was just like.. NOOOOO! Maxerica forever! (Um.. is that a valid ship name?) We also have Celeste, whom I silently kill in my head every time she's in a scene. Is it just me? She's such a slut, and the only thing I dont like about Maxon is that he knows she's using her and he uses her too.

Aspen... I mean I guess he's okay and all but I really do not like him with America. I didn't like him from the moment he broke up with America in book 1 just because America was of a higher class than him. I mean, seriously. Just because the society is nasty and twisted doesn't mean the people have to be too. Aspen can go hog any other girl in the selection, but he better leave America alone. If America chooses Aspen, I will hate Kiera Cass and this series forever.

The surprise about Gregory Illea's diaries was mind-blowing! I did not expect that! We hadn't really met the current king before but I didn't think he would be the monster he was. The royal family and its history is just so messed up. I'm so glad Queen Amberly hasn't let it get to her... yet.

When America had those cutesy moments with her maids... awwww. I still love that America doesn't treat her maids as maids, but as friends. When she was comforting Lucy, my inner cute self was just screaming! SO kind! At the end when the maids were like clapping for her after her speech and they were like "If Lady America is going to win, we need a plan," I was rooting for team America SO HARD!

Speaking of that speech, Bad decision America. Probably the worst decision ever! I mean, I totally stand for what she spoke about, that the caste system was messed up and should be eliminated but I don't think that a public speech in front of millions of people was the appropriate way to express her feelings. Still, YOU GO GIRL! You've got some bravery in there!

That's all I have to say about this book.  Overall, I am definitely going to read books 3 and 4 and find out what happens!
- Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D