Review

The Jewel by Amy Ewing - Spoiler Free Review | Please stop turning everything into Romance

June 03, 2015

Title: The Jewel
Author: Amy Ewing
Series: The Lone City #1
Genre: YA Dystopian
Publication Date: August 21st 2014
Format Read: Paperback
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: ★★★★
Warning: There is insta-love in this book

Synopsis:
The Jewel means wealth. The Jewel means beauty. The Jewel means royalty. But for girls like Violet, the Jewel means servitude. Not just any kind of servitude. Violet, born and raised in the Marsh, has been trained as a surrogate for the royalty—because in the Jewel the only thing more important than opulence is offspring.
Purchased at the surrogacy auction by the Duchess of the Lake and greeted with a slap to the face, Violet (now known only as #197) quickly learns of the brutal truths that lie beneath the Jewel’s glittering facade: the cruelty, backstabbing, and hidden violence that have become the royal way of life.
Violet must accept the ugly realities of her existence... and try to stay alive. But then a forbidden romance erupts between Violet and a handsome gentleman hired as a companion to the Duchess’s petulant niece. Though his presence makes life in the Jewel a bit brighter, the consequences of their illicit relationship will cost them both more than they bargained for.


The concept of this book is extremely unique. At first, it reminded  me of the Hunger Games for some reason but it is very different. The dystopian world was very well developed and I was not confused at any point. I really liked the concept of the three auguries but it really saddened me that she hadn't seen her own reflection or her family in years. Her relationship with her family seemed very distant, yet very close. The family dynamic was interesting.

Violet, who is also referred to as lot 197, is a very interesting character. Her name comes from the fact that she has violet eyes. I think Violet is very smart and she knows what is best for her. She knows how to handle situations and when not to argue.

My favourite character was probably Raven. She is reckless and witty which I like about her. She is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in. She is very outspoken and a great friend to Violet. I also like some of the characters we met in the beginning like Lily and Dahlia. They were very sweet and seemed genuinely nice.

I really love Annabelle. It is unfortunate that she is mute but I think that's what makes her more special and lovable. She is mute, yet she does not think she needs any special treatment and she is very genuine. She is another one of my favourite characters.

Ash is one of the characters I really did not like for some reason. He seems like the kind of person who would go behind you back and betray you. He just seems like he should not be trusted at all. Lucien seems very kind and sympathetic but I think he might betray Violet in future books. 

The Duchess seemed like a monster at the beginning, and she does some horrible things throughout the book but later on, we got to see a softer side of her which was really surprising. She is obviously the villain of this book but maybe, she has some valid reason. Some of the things she did were unforgivable and could not be taken back no matter how hard she tried. I don't know whether I hate her or feel sorry for her.

The Romance between Violet and Ash was so annoying. The insta-love kept me rolling my eyes. I hated that Ash would say he was honest, say that he wouldn't lie while he is going behind Carneilan's back and lying to her. Violet knows that he is lying to someone else he is supposed to be in a relationship with and she still trusts him. I find that weird and it was the only thing that prevented me from giving it 5 stars.

Overall, this book had a very interesting concept and it was immensely interesting and I would definitely recommend it to Dystopian lovers. I don't think this book is for everyone though, especially if you are not into Insta-love 





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D