Review

The One by Kiera Cass - Spoiler Review | I actually like an ending!

June 11, 2015

Title: The One
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #3
Genre: YA Dystopian
Publication Date: May 6th 2015
Format Read: Ebook
Publisher: HarpetTeen
Rating: ★★★★★



Synopsis won't be included as it contains spoilers for books 1 and 2. Please do not read this review unless you've read books 1, 2 and 3.








When the book began and America was strongly flirting with Maxon and failed epic-ly, I first face palmed like 300 times and then I laughed out loud for a good five minutes. I literally had to put my kindle down... I was rolling on the floor laughing (that's not even an exaggeration.) All this happened in the first chapter, and I knew I was going to love this book. I did.

I knew from the point in time where America shared Gregory Ilea's diaries with her dad that her dad was hiding something. And when the Northern Rebels and August and Georgia showed, I knew he was a Northern Rebel. I just couldn't shake the feeling. I also knew Kriss was a Rebel, since Elise was too obvious.

My favourite part of this book was probably when they needed that camera from Maxon and Maxon was like "Can I come in?" and the girls were like "No, we just want the camera" and they took the camera and slammed the door in his face. I feel like it was the only time throughout the three books where the girls actually acted like friends, and I was so happy!

Then we have the Celeste breakdown. I always hated Celeste, until that moment. I still think all the things she did were horrible but I see why she did them. I see that she thought that her beauty would fade away and she would have no reason to be in the spotlight. I still don't like Kriss all that much. I mean... no...

In this book, my idea of "Maxon is perfection" was not the same anymore. How could he act like he was in love with America in front of America, and then tell Kriss the same thing? It was just.. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I'm still team Maxon all the way but he's not as perfect as I thought previously. Also, the fact that he would have been a 5 if he were not the Prince just screamed FATE!

When her father died, I cried. I actually liked him a lot, even though I knew there was something he was hiding. When we saw Kota and his stinking attitude, I really wanted to slap him. He was like "That's all father left me? This dump of a house? How is this going to help me in any way?" I was literally screaming at my kindle 'YOU'RE TELLING ME HE WAS UNFAIR? HUH? HOW DARE YOU? YOUR LOVING PARENTS RAISED YOU TO BE AN ARTIST, GAVE YOU SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES AND YOU DECIDED TO BECOME A BRAT AND KEEP ALL THE MONEY, EVEN THOUGH YOU KNEW YOUR FAMILY COULD HAVE USED IT MORE! AND YOU COME HERE COMPLAINING? AFTER ALL YOU'VE DONE, THEY SHOULD HAVE KICKED YOU OUT! LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT TIME YOU NEED MONEY OR HELP OR, I DON'T KNOW, A FAMILY! DID I MENTION YOUR FATHER DIED, YOU IDIOT? SHOW SOME DAMN RESPECT!'
*Rant Over*

Moving on. The part when America got shot and she was in the streets was confusing. I didn't really get what was going on. All I know was that she was hurt. When Aspen knew who Anne was and Maxon didn't I knew Maxon was going to do something about it. It's just something that he does. He was all "When that guard knew who Anne, your maid, was and I didn't, it was embarrassing. So, I now make it my duty to know all my staff's names," and I was like SWOON!

 I knew she wouldn't end up with Aspen, because they confessed that they didn't have feelings for each other anymore. WOOHOO! Finally, Aspen is out, and there is only on team.

When Maxon FINALLY proposed, I was so happy! The conversation went something like this:

M: So, I have a gift for you,
A: What is it?
M: *Shows a picture of a house*
A: That's nice! Did you take the picture?"
M: Oh, the picture is not the present, the house is! I figured you'd want your family close!
A: What?!?!?!?!
M: I didn't want to wait anymore. That's why I sent the others home. I only had to keep Kriss because it's in the rules.
A: Wait... so we're getting married???
M: YES! Wel, it's not official yet, because I haven't proposed. I can't even get down on one knee so can I just say it while standing?
A: *Is speechless* *nods*
M: Will you do me the greatest honour ever by becoming my wife?
A: YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

And then ASPEN almost ruined everything, what a surprise. I was so heartbroken when Maxon was like "How many times am I going to let you break my heart? At least you get to go home in style." I cried more than America did! And then he almost died and he was like "I almost ruined both of our lives. I love you, and I will love you until my last breath!" And America was all "DONT DIEEEEEEE ON MEEEEE!"

But then everything was alright. Marlee was a bridesmaid, May was the maid of honour and AMERICA WAS THE BRIDE! WOOT WOOT! The epilogue was EPIC and the last two sentences were so fulfilling.

"This isn't happily ever after.
It's so much more than that."

- Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D