Review

The Selection by Kiera Cass - Spoiler free review | Every one of the male species has to be like Maxon

June 04, 2015


Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Genre: YA Dystopian
Publication Date: January 1st 2012
Format Read: Ebook
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The concept of this book is not new. There have been "Competing for the Prince" books written before, but this one has a certain charm that some others don't. Whenever I see a review of this book, the sentence "America Singer is so goddamn frustrating" is always there. I don't think I've seen the annoying side of her yet. Granted, she wasn't the most unique character but she wasn't bad either. I liked that she didn't change her beliefs because she got into the selection. I liked that she didn't think too highly of herself. I really want her red hair! I also liked that she did not treat her maids as maids, but as people.

Maxon is the first love interest I've liked in ages! He was perfect, and the way he gets confused when people cry is adorable! The fact that he did not get angry at America when she yelled at him just because he was a prince was nice and the way he came up with tugging the ear whenever they needed to talk was hilarious! Maxon was my favourite character of this book! TEAM MAXON!

And then there's Aspen. Aspen, Aspen, Aspen NO! I do not even want to talk about him, and if America picks him instead of.. well.. PERFECTION AKA MAXON... expect the waterworks! 
 I really enjoyed the forever bickering Singer family, especially her mom! I also liked Aspens family, though I hated Aspen himself. Marlee was an interesting character but I think she is going to betray America in the end for some reason. Celeste is the worst annoying b**ch ever! I hate her and all the terrible things she did!

I don't have much else to say as I do not want to include any spoilers. I really liked this book and I would definitely recommend it to YA readers, especially if you enjoy books about contests. I cannot wait to see where this series goes! ★★★★★ from me!

-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D