Review

Wither by Lauren DeStefano - No Spoiler Review | Indescribable experience.

June 25, 2015

Title: Wither
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Series: The Chemical Garden #1
Genre: YA Dystopian
Publication Date: March 22nd 2011
Format Read: Ebook
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Rating: I Honestly Do Not Know
By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. 
When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can’t bring herself to hate him as much as she’d like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband’s strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?
Together with one of Linden's servants, Gabriel, Rhine attempts to escape just before her seventeenth birthday. But in a world that continues to spiral into anarchy, is there any hope for freedom?

I honestly don't know how I feel about this book. I went through the book really quickly, the writing was so addicting and the characters were not too bad. On the other hand, I despised the plot line and the story. I mean, these people barely have time to live. They are selling females off as brides to some rich jerk who has no heart and shooting the rest of the "unacceptable" female candidates in the head. I understand that this is a dystopian society, but the plot just makes my blood boil.

It's bad enough that women are sold off as brides, but the fact that one guy has THREE brides? Nope. I do not like this. How is it fair to anyone? The women have to live in a strange place, away from their families, giving themselves to the male knowing that he is doing the exact same things with two other women who have to interact with each other. The male also needs to do the same thing with three different people. It's not fair to anyone.

And on top of all that, the main character has to go and fall for someone who is not the male she was set up with. So. Annoying.

I know you probably think I hated this book because of all the ranting I did. Honestly, I don't think I hated it or loved it or thought it was okay. I have never been so confused about my feelings for a book before and I do not like this feeling. I don't think I have the right to recommend this book to you guys. Let me know what you think in the comments,
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D