Review

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea Duology - No Spoiler Review | Why does everyone feel the need to kiss?

July 08, 2015

Title: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and Between the Spark and the Burn
Author: April Genevieve Tuchulke
Genre: YA Paranormal
Format Read: Hardcover
Publisher: Dial
Book 1 Rating: ★☆☆☆☆
Book 2 Rating: ★☆☆☆☆
Book 1 Synopsis: You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand… Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more? Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back. Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.


Before I start, I want to inform you this review is probably going to be a super-long rant. 

The characters in this book are the most annoying characters in the world! Violet is such an annoying little idiot. She kept going back to River even though she knows he has major issues and that he's probably the Devil's spawn. I really hate that she always goes back! Oh, and what's with the instal-love? You don't just decide you love someone when you've barely known them for a day and you haven't even seen their ID! He has lied to you plenty of times but no! You don't care! You just want to hook-up with an idiotic random stranger every single night because it helps his nightmares. *OCTILLIONS OF FACEPALMS*

River is another idiot. He keeps thinking he's such a great person, that he has justified reasons for all the horrible things he does! He thinks that everyone should feel sorry for him, that everyone should drop everything and attend to his needs all the time. He is selfish, he's a jerk and I hate him!

Luke is so damn sexist! Oh, girls can't go watch a movie that's not a rom-com or a chick flick but they CAN go and buy groceries so that they can cook the food that boys should just sit back and eat! Oh, girls are too scared to go into caves! Oh, girls want to slam Luke's goddamn annoying face into a wall! (the last part is true)

Sunshine acts like she's so smart and sassy and witty but she just seems like a girl who's trying too hard to show off. The only characters I actually liked in this whole entire series are Jack and Neely. I don't understand how one series can infuriate a person so much!

I did not see a plot in this duology at all. All I saw was love, love, love and love. It was pretty sickening. Maybe there was a plot but it was overshadowed by everything else. I was so disappointed, I really thought I'd enjoy this series.

The only reason I gave this book a star is because April's writing is surprisingly easy to read, despite the insta-love. I got through the duology in three days! Granted, I didn't enjoy it but thats still pretty quick. If you don't mind instal-love, you can try this out. Otherwise, I don't think this is for you.

Have you read this book? If so, tell me what you thought in the comments.
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D