Review

My Soul Immortal by Jen Printy - No Spoiler Review | Wait... I liked a Paranormal Romance? Who's the alien who abducted me?

July 28, 2015

Title: My Soul Immortal
Author: Jen Printy
Series: Fated Eternals #1
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publication Date: Fabruary 15th 2014
Format Read: E-Arc Provided by Author
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing
Rating: ★★★★.5
**The author, Jen Printy, asked me to review her book. This doesn't affect my opinion in any way.**
Synopsis:
An endless love, for an endless price. Jack’s immortality is exposed when he prevents a liquor store heist, forcing him to flee to protect his secret—a secret not even he understands. But when he meets Leah Winters—a mirror image of his decades-lost love, Lydia—his very soul is laid bare. He begins to question his sanity. Is she real, and if so, what does that mean for Jack and his secret? Jack’s not the only mystery man in town. A stranger named Artagan hints at knowledge Jack is desperate to possess. But can he trust Artagan, or does the dark newcomer harbor deadly secrets of his own? As Jack’s bond with Leah grows, so does the danger to her life. Jack must discover just how much he is willing to risk in order to save the woman he already lost once.

I never thought of myself as a Paranormal Romance lover. I always liked the Paranormal part but the romance part always annoyed me. I am so grateful to the author, Jen Printy, for introducing me to this new genre and a wonderful book. I admit, I would have never read this book if she hadn't pointed it out to me.

I had no idea what to expect. I've probably read one Paranormal Romance my entire life, so I don't have much experience with the genre. I definitely did not expect to be so pleasantly surprised as the book was very enjoyable. The writing was easy to read, I loved the characters and the plot and, best of all, the romance didn't annoy me! (If you've read my other reviews you'll know that's a miracle, and it's not even Christmas!)

I was sold on Jack the moment he stormed into that bookstore and demanded a job. I mean, fellow book nerd who just happens to be immortal? How can you resist that? For some reason, when I picture Jack, I imagine him having brown, spiky hair and those piercing blue eyes. It's probably not true, but Jack just gives off that cool-haired-awesome-eyed guy vibe. Jack cracked me up at various points during the book. Some examples are:

The words escape my lips before I can stop them. "I'd love to go," I say. Way to be tough, Jack. Oh yeah, you're a rock.
So a sadistic loon is wandering Portland, killing whoever she feels like? 
Leah was also a great character. She was an artist, and I admired that. I have trouble drawing stick figures! Leah was very kind, caring and considerate. She was willing to forgive and forget Jack's old life and I respect her for not holding a grudge, or being one of those jealous types. She was so loving to her slightly overprotective brother, Grady. She was very supportive.

Grady really annoyed me at first. He was all calm and cool one second and the next, he was all "HEY! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY SISTER! GET AWAY FROM HER! SHE DOESN'T NEED BOYS IN HER LIFE! GET OUT!" I was inwardly yelling it him throughout the first half of this book, but he became more bearable as the story progressed.

Artagan was a character I somehow liked from the beginning. I knew he was a jerk, I knew he wasn't anywhere near perfect but that just made him more interesting. His back story was heartbreaking, and it explained why he was so immersed in his own shell. He was really damaged and he didn't want anyone to help him. I was just drawn to him, for some reason.

Leah and Jack's relationship was one of the few I actually enjoyed reading about. It was so engrossing. It was definitely not high school puppy love. It went way, way back and it was a very deep relationship, one that couldn't be cracked the slightest by a fight or an argument. I ship them SO HARD! #Leack (that sounds really icky.) What about... #Jaah? "Ja" means yes in German (I know there's an extra "ah" but it sounds similar enough) and it symbolises that we all say yes to the relationship... #JAAH it is!

Near the ending, I thought something really bad was going to happen I was all set with my box of tissues,  ready to ball my eyes out. I was so relieved when nothing as terrible as I thought would happen happened. I almost needed the tissues due to tears of happiness. Thank you, Jen Printy, for not doing the awful thing that I thought you were going to do.

If you couldn't tell, I loved the book and I definitely recommend you read it. I cannot wait for the next book to come out! 
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D