Review

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins - No Spoiler Review | All the magical characters in my head

July 02, 2015

Title: School Spirits
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: School Spirits #1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Publication Date: May 14th 2013
Format Read: Hardcover
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Rating: ★★★★★
Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.
Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.
Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt? 

I've read the Hex Hall Series and the Rebel Belle series by Rachel Hawkins and I've loved both of them. I knew I would love this book even before I started it, and I was definitely not wrong. I loved this book. It was so interesting, since the characters in this series are also mentioned in the Hex Hall series. It was so interesting to see from Izzy's point of view.

I really liked Izzy. First off, she's a redhead, and I love redheads! I wish I had red hair, but mine is black. She was such a great character. She was definitely not annoying. I feel like all of Rachel Hawkins' characters are sassy and witty, which I love. Izzy was strong and even though she had some pretty messed up personal issues, she didn't let them get in the way of her "normal high school life." I wasn't very supportive of some of her decisions at first but I liked how the story played out.

Aislinn was a good character in the Hex Hall series but I saw the meaner side of her in this one. It wasn't pleasant, but I understood how she felt and I understood that she was feeing conflicted about her decisions. She was not a very motherly mother but she was okay.

Romy and Dex and Anderson were lovely characters. They were very supportive of Izzy and they just took the strange girl into their little group without much inquiry. They were great friends. The mystery behind Dex was really interesting and the way it was spread out throughout the novel was intriguing. It kept me turning the page. Rachel Hawkins keeps me on my toes every single time.

I'd say that Rachel Hawkins' writing style is extremely easy to read and her books are page-turners. You will definitely enjoy this book if you enjoy paranormal books or sassy characters. I definitely recommend you check this out. If you've read this book, PLEASE tell me your thoughts in the comments. Even if you haven't, lets start a discussion! Thanks for reading :D
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D