Review

The Sister Pact by Stacie Ramey - No Spoiler Review | Sisters are so weird

July 31, 2015

Title: The Sister Pact
Author:
Standalone Novel
Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: November 1st 2015
Format Read: E-Arc Provided by Netgalley
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Rating: ★★★★.5
**Netgalley provided me with a free book in exchange for an honest review**
Synopsis:
Allie is devastated when her older sister commits suicide--and not just because she misses her. Allie feels betrayed. The two made a pact that they'd always be together, in life, and in death, but Leah broke her promise and Allie needs to know why. Her parents hover. Her friends try to support her. And Nick, sweet Nick, keeps calling and flirting. Their sympathy only intensifies her grief. But the more she clings to Leah, the more secretes surface. Allie's not sure which is more distressing: discovering the truth behind her sister's death or facing her new reality without her. 


I really enjoyed this book, but it took me a while to get to that point.

The first third of this book was extremely intriguing. We got to learn about the sister pact, but the details were almost non-existent. We din't know what exactly the pact was, we didn't know why or when they made the pact. Everything was unclear, and the mystery was the only thing kept the story very interesting.

In the first third, Allie wasn't my favourite character. She acted like how a normal person might act if they had just lost their other half, but I did not realise that. She was grieving, seeing a therapist, having trouble. I didn't enjoy her story in this half, because I kept thinking she was a whiny brat. I didn't even realise she just lost her sister, whom she thought of as another part of her. She basically lost herself.

The second third was a bit of both. I enjoyed it. I admired her for the first part of this third, but then she started being reckless. I suppose she had to go through the denial/angel phase at some point, but I didn't like this phase. Things started getting way out of hand, the romance was starting to bug me to the extent of my wanting to throw my kindle at the wall and i just could not stand it. She was so weak-willed, she gave in so easily to everyone. I still kept reading.

The last third was definitely a eye-opener. It was like I finally realised to the full extent how depressing Allie's situation was. I understood why things got out of hand, and that this was what would have happened in real life. I had this "OH" moment in the middle of the third and I basically reread the book. I don't know why, but I just did. The second time round, I loved all three parts of this book. The beginning, the middle and the end.

Allie was a great character. She could be strong, self-reliant, solid and brave  all on her own if she'd just stop comparing herself to others. Both the readers and Allie learn a lot of things as the story progresses. I really enjoyed her story, her coping with the intense situation, her mistakes and her amends.

The only issue I had with this book was that the resolution came way too fast. I felt like it was all over way too soon. This whole mystery was settled in a couple of chapters, and I find that insane! Yet, I found the ending to be one of the most satisfying standalone endings I've ever read. Although I loved this book, I didn't need more. Everything was settled, even if it was done a bit quickly.

I definitely recommend this book if you want a quick, yet insightful read.
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D