Review

Unbreakable by Kami Garcia - No Spoiler Review | Ghosts Galore!

July 23, 2015

Title: Unbreakable
Author: Kami Garcia
Series: Legion #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publication Date: October 1st 2013
Format Read: Hardcover
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Rating: ★★★★.25
Synopsis:
I never believed in ghosts. Until one tried to kill me.When Kennedy Waters finds her mother dead, her world begins to unravel. She doesn’t know that paranormal forces in a much darker world are the ones pulling the strings. Not until identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into Kennedy’s room and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her. The brothers reveal that her mother was part of an ancient secret society responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon — a society whose five members were all murdered on the same night.Now Kennedy has to take her mother’s place in the Legion if she wants to uncover the truth and stay alive. Along with new Legion members Priest and Alara, the teens race to find the only weapon that might be able to destroy the demon — battling the deadly spirits he controls every step of the way.

I didn't exactly love the Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl but this was a completely different story and I really enjoyed it.

I didn't even know what this was about when I brought it. I found the hardcover at a random bookstore for $5.99 and I thought "why the heck not?" I loved the writing style, it reminded me of the beautiful creatures series - so fast paced. I also really enjoyed the story.

Kennedy was not a bad character, She did not go crazy like I thought she would have considering the circumstances. I didn't really see any unique traits in her so... I didn't really love her as much as I usually love characters. I couldn't find a reason to connect with her,

Jared and Lucas are characters I really didn't care too much for. They were kind of annoying because they kept fighting and prevented the actual story from progressing. The romance kept going back and forth and back and forth because of the twins and it was another thing that didn't make me jump with joy.

I really liked Priest and Alara. If they were the main side-kicks, I would have enjoyed this book a little bit more. Priest was so funny, quirky and actually had a mind of his own and Alara was so cool and badass. My favourite characters in the book by far!

My favourite thing about this book was the awesome plot. It was so interesting seeing the legion come together, the story progress and become whole. It was so interesting finding out more about Kennedy's mom's death and her life before she had a daughter. It was a great story overall. I cannot wait to continue with the series.

-Rekha

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I picked this up because I thought it sounded like the Mortal Instruments. It does have some similarities don't you think? Are you going to read the squeal? I'm not sure yet. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've pointed it out... it does have a few similarities... it's really good but TMI is on a whole other level of awesomely epic. Yes, I own the sequel and I do plan on getting to it sometime soon... hopefully...

      Delete

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D