Review

Accidental Butterfly by Marisa Cleveland - No Spoiler Review | Lucky.. she came back from the dead!

August 25, 2015

Title: Accidental Butterfly
Author: Marisa Cleveland
Standalone Novel
Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: July 5th 2015
Format Read: E-ARC Provided by Xpresso Book Tours
Publisher: Self Published
Rating: ★★★★★
**Xpresso Book Tours provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**
Synopsis:
Alive, Kate Dunlap breezed through high school with meaningless friendships and relative ease. But after an accidental overdose ends Kate's human existence, she's granted the opportunity of a lifetime. 
Return to Earth. Save Jake Barton. Prove her worth. 
Success guarantees Kate an all access backstage pass to heaven. But as she falls in love for the first time, the reformed superficial social butterfly must risk her chance at redemption to guarantee Jake's life on Earth.

What Interested Me:
This book's synopsis reminded me of the movie Teen Spirit, where a dead girl has to prove that she's good by making the least popular girl Prom Queen in order to go to heaven instead of hell. I loved that movie, so I thought why not read a similar book?

Plot:
As I mentioned before, I love the idea of a dead girl having to go back to earth and prove herself. What if we died and we had another chance at life? It would be depressing and awesome at the same time! The plot was great. The story was interesting and it was not too focused on the romance which I liked. I loved all the relationships in this book. The whole "circle of friends on the beach" concept was fun to read about.

Characters:
Kate was a great character. She was funny and sarcastic at times, but she was also very understanding and loyal to her friends. I liked that she actually felt guilty about lying to everyone instead of just wanting to go to heaven.

Jake Barton... aka perfection. Being an obsessive fangirl, I know it is very rare to find your book soulmate. If Jake Barton were real, I would be hunting him down. He has a room filled with books, he reads all the time... how often do you actually come across people like that? Kate is so lucky! Jake was just perfect.

Writing Style:
The book was very short, but it felt very long. The story felt like it took place over years instead of weeks. The writing was light-hearted and fun to read.

Overall:
I gave this book 5 stars because... well there was nothing wrong with it. I absolutely loved the story and the characters. I definitely recommend it to all contemporary lovers and readers in general. Oh, and after reading this, you should watch Teen Spirit and see the resemblance.

Have you read this book? If yes, tell me what you thought!
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D