Review

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols - No Spoiler Review | Who thought flying airplanes could be so interesting

August 14, 2015

Title: Such a Rush
Author: Jennifer Echols
Standalone Novel
Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: July 10th 2012
Format Read: Paperback
Publisher: MTV Books
Rating: ★★★★.25
When I was fourteen, I made a decision. If I was doomed to live in a trailer park next to an airport, I could complain about the smell of the jet fuel like my mom, I could drink myself to death over the noise like everybody else, or I could learn to fly.Heaven Beach, South Carolina, is anything but, if you live at the low-rent end of town. All her life, Leah Jones has been the grown-up in her family, while her mother moves from boyfriend to boyfriend, letting any available money slip out of her hands. At school, they may diss Leah as trash, but she’s the one who negotiates with the landlord when the rent’s not paid. At fourteen, she’s the one who gets a job at the nearby airstrip.But there’s one way Leah can escape reality. Saving every penny she can, she begs quiet Mr. Hall, who runs an aerial banner-advertising business at the airstrip and also offers flight lessons, to take her up just once. Leaving the trailer park far beneath her and swooping out over the sea is a rush greater than anything she’s ever experienced, and when Mr. Hall offers to give her cut-rate flight lessons, she feels ready to touch the sky.By the time she’s a high school senior, Leah has become a good enough pilot that Mr. Hall offers her a job flying a banner plane. It seems like a dream come true... but turns out to be just as fleeting as any dream. Mr. Hall dies suddenly, leaving everything he owned in the hands of his teenage sons: golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson. And they’re determined to keep the banner planes flying.Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business—until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers—and the consequences could be deadly. 

Why I Read This Book:
I was looking for the Coldplay song's lyrics on google because I love it and one of the results were "Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols" and I thought it would be cool to read a book which has the same name as the song. So I brought it.

Plot:
I thought the plot was very interesting. I had never read a book involving airplanes and commercial flying before so I thought it would be cool to read this. I was a little iffy about reading it as the romance in the synopsis was a bit cliché. However, obviously, I decided to give it a go.

Characters:
Leah, the main character, was a cool character. Her personality definitely leaned towards witty and sarcastic and she could be VERY mean, but that wasn't a too bad. She had too much self-pity sometimes, but otherwise, she was a decent character. She definitely made some HORRIBLE decisions, but she made enough amends.

Molly, Leah's best friend, was not someone I liked at all for the first three quarters of this book. She was acting like a rich brat, she was treating Leah like a charity case, she wasn't a loyal best friend and she was always looking for Leah's flaws. I'm not saying Leah was perfect, not even close, but I think Molly was too pessimistic. Then she grew on me near the end.

Alec was a sweet guy. He had good intentions, he wasn't as stupid as his brother, Grayson, he actually acted like he had a heart and he treated Leah like a friend, even though he had an idea about what she was doing to him. He's what I'd call a gentleman.

Grayson, like I mentioned above, didn't have a heart. He acted like one of hose guys who don't reveal anything about themselves and have a circular wall build around them but really, those walls are useless because there was nothing to protect underneath. The only good thing was that he cared about  his brother, but everyone else was just an obligatory part of his life. Needless to say, I didn't like him.

Writing Style:
One word I would use to describe the writing style is addicting. I read this book in one sitting (overnight) and it felt like I flew through it. It was an unputdownable read.

Overall: 
Though I didn't necessarily love all the characters, the plot was very interesting and the writing was enjoyable. I really liked this book, and I could not find enough flaws in it to give it less than 4.25 stars.

Have you read this book? Tell me what you thought!
-Rekha


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D