Review

Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella - No Spoiler Review | My stomach is sore from laughing so much

September 05, 2015

Title: Finding Audrey
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Standalone Novel
Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: June 9th 2015
Format Read: Paperback
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Rating: ★★★★★
Synopsis:
An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.


What Interested Me:
This was the Booksplosion book of the month for August and I decided to join in this month since Sophie Kinsella is such a hyped up author.

Plot:
This book was beautiful, hilarious and very insightful. This is not just a love story, this is actually a really good contemporary. Audrey's anxiety disorder is somehow turned from an insecurity to a humour anchor. I don't know how the author turned this story about a girl with a disorder to a fluffy contemporary, but it definitely got through to me.

Character:
Audrey had a lot of problems. She was very weak in many ways, and she constantly wanted to hide. It didn't seem like she would be that great of a character, but I fell in love with her. She was so funny, so surprising and very "full-of-personality" for someone with an anxiety disorder. I loved her, and every single thing she said in this book.

My favourite character in this book was Frank, Audrey's bother. His constant banter with his mother was hilarious, and he was such a game nerd at times, it was adorable! He was so amusing, and made me laugh every single time he appeared.

Audrey's mom was either annoying or amusing - most of the time she was the former. She was a very peculiar character. She was one of those moms who believed everything they read on the paper. She was obsessed with the Daily Mail, and she was very stubborn about things going her way. As I said, annoying, but amusing.

Linus, Frank's friend/ Audrey's more than friend was so sweet, kind, protective and caring. I mean, he was a but weird and shy in the beginning, but he really connected with Audrey, and pushed her to do things she was't used to doing (like eye contact and shoe contact.)

Writing Style:
A-MA-ZING! I flew through this book. In one sitting. Before I had a flight to board. It was that good. Sophie Kinsella will make you laugh, will make you cry, will make you laugh-cry. She is a new favourite for me! I used up a whole packet of sticky mark on this book. A. Whole. Brand. New. Packet. I hardly ever sticky mark books. So... I loved this book.

Overall: 
I loved it. Everybody should read this book. Please go read this book. I loved it. 5/5 stars.

Have you read this book? What did you think?
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I loved Audrey's mom. She was hilarious to me. Linus was good friend to Audrey. I really enjoyed this book and I'm glad you did too:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, Audrey's mom was very amusing. Yeah, as he was a great friend! I never thought the relationship would work but... yeah... Yay, book-opinion twinning!

      Delete

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D