Randomness

ECH! These things annoy the crap out of me | Bookish Pet Peeves

September 06, 2015

Hey guys! Today, I am sharing with you a list of my worst Bookish Pet Peeves!


1. Cover Changes
I absolutely hate cover changes. Yeah, yeah, I know, don't judge a book by its cover and all that but why would you want to change a beautiful cover? Or, even worse, change ugly covers and make them uglier? It doesn't matter if they do this after all three books are published in the original edition, but doing it in the middle? Here are some examples of horrible cover changes:

Across the Universe by Beth Revis
Those first two covers are beautiful, and they actually tell me something about the story. The last one is just green. :(

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Here we have the original, ugly covers. At least these have character, because every one of them is different. 

And then you have this crap, which is basically colours with VA on them! Oh, Shadow Kiss, that's the green one! Or was it blue... or yellow, yes it was yellow... or...

CONFUSION!

2. Book sizes
Why can't there be one universal size for paperback, and one universal size for hardcover. Why does the size always have to be different? My bookshelf  looks like a hot mess, because none of the paperbacks have matching sizes! PLEASE! They're just sizes. Make them the same. It's not like we are going to wear the book. 

3. Book Stickers
I do not need to know if this book was 20% off, because I already brought it. I don't need to know whether to not the book is a major motion picture in the form of an stinking sticker. I don't need to know if the author wrote another series, because I AM NOT READING THAT ONE NOW! Stop putting stickers on books, because they are extremely ugly and annoying to peel off.

4. Everything is a trilogy
Every single author and their mother is writing a trilogy. I don't have anything against trilogies, but why can't we get Standalones or Duologies? Why does everything I read have to be a 3-book-commitment?

5. Too much romance/insta-love
I did a whole post on this. You can read it HERE

6. Movie Covers
Movie Covers are just ugly. Nobody likes them. We don't need a constant reminder of how bad the casting and/or movie was on the book. Movie covers can stay on the DVDs.


7. Cracked Spines
I hate cracking book spines. It is literally the worst think in the world. I have nightmares when I see cracked spines. I cannot stand it. The book looks abused even if there is one crack on the spine. I cringe every time I see it. Please take care of your books! *shivers*

8. Dog-eared pages
NO! There are bookmarks for a reason. Please do not break and abuse that beautiful page because you don't have a bookmark near you, just... don't you think your beloved book deserves to be treated with love? Imagine how hurt its feelings will be when you dog ear it! How would you feel if someone bent your finger over? Exactly. 

9. Stupid Publishing Strategies
I hate it when the publishers want to make more money, so they always say "fans of Divergent will like this? or "fans of Vampire Academy will enjoy this." Why does everything have to be compared to some popular book? Stop disrespecting readers and books. I wrote a post about it HERE.

10. Hard to pronounce names
I don't know how to pronounce half the names in YA these days. All books should have a pronunciation guide at the back, especially fantasy books! *cough*Throne Of Glass*cough*

11. Text Speak
I cannot express in words how much I hate text speak. I despise it. When it is casually used in a book, I will DNF that book. This is a work of literature, not a work of text message. Please stop it.
_______________________________________________________________________

Beware, this is only part one. Part two will be coming sometime in the future! 
What are your bookish pet peeves?
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I tend to dog ear my assigned readings. I think it's cool when the book has the movie cover on it, but that's just me. Interesting pet peeves:) Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assigned readings are usually boring so I don't really care. The movie cover, meh. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I am guilty of the cover change, mid-series.. I'm sorry!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH, NOOOOOOOO! :( Hey, at least you didn't make them uglier!

      Delete
  3. Yes to every single one of these! The stickers are a big pet peeve of mine. Especially the ones imprinted in the cover. I can't remove those and it drives me crazy.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES THOSE ANNOYING UNPEELABLE STICKERS WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME! I'm glad you relate :)

      Delete

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D