Review

The Sword of Summer (MAGNUS CHASE #1) by Rick Riordan - Partly Spoiler Review! | Someone kill me so I can join these amazing idiots

October 14, 2015

Title: The Sword of Summer
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Publication Date: October 6th 2015
Format Read: Ebook
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★........★★★
Synopsis:
Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.
One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.
The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.
When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.
Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .

My first thoughts when I found out this book was happening:


When I finished reading this book:

People, it's over! The first book is over! I cannot wait for the next (4?) books!

This book was absolutely positively fantabulous! I never thought anything could live up to Percy Jackson but Magnus Chase just did it! I didn't know much about Norse mythology when I went into this book, and now I know a lot more.

Plot:
SOO.. I didn't expect there to be a camp in this book. But there was one... sort of. Does a hotel that has thousands of hallways and weird doors that lead to things like black holes and hell count? I really enjoyed the chapters we had at Valhalla, which, if you know anything about Norse Mythology, is where people spend their afterlife. There were lots of... interesting things that happened at Valhalla which you will know if you read the book. Overall, LOVE the plot. 

Characters:
First, lets talk Magnus Chase. His cousin is... you guessed it... ANNA BETH CHASE! Anyone related to Annabeth who's also a teenager has to be awesome, amirite? And this kid was a carbon copy of Percy, except even more sarcastic and hilarious! I didn't think it was possible, but he is. Every single time he made a joke, I started fangirling. I really want Magnus and Percy to meet. Imagine, Snarky Percy + Snarkier Magnus = AWESOME! Magnus was the best. Like, I'm talking Percy level best. He had his mushy moments too!

(BY THE WAY, ANNABETH HAS A CAMEO IN THIS BOOK. SHE TALKS IN THIS BOOK!)

Then we have Samirah, who is basically the only reason any of this happened. I didn't really trust Samirah at first but she grew on me. I was expecting a romance between Magnus and Sam but - thank goodness - this book was NOT romance heavy! Sam was a great character, and she was very loyal. She persevered (a LOT) even though everyone thought she was the enemy. 

Hearth and Blitzen were so cute! They were like the perfect BFF power couple! I really liked that Hearth was deaf, and I know a bit of sign language (SWITCHED AT BIRTH) so I could picture some of the signs in my head. Blitz's weird interests made the book so much more fun! I loved the way he kept calling Magnus "kid." 

Gunilla was a Brat. I still don't like here, even after what happened towards the end. She was just too self-absorbed and she always thought she was right. She's a grudge-holder for sure, and I hate that she thought Samirah was the enemy. She did some horrible things, and acted like she was the boss. I felt a bit sorry for her at the end, but she was still a brat.

All of Magnus's hallmates at Valhalla were great! Half born was hilarious! He was violent one moment and all friendly the next. Mallory was like the Female version of Magnus, but a little less Snarky. Reminds me of Annabeth.  Everyone else was great too!

Writing Style:
This book is definitely more "Heroes of Olympus" size than "P J O" size. It took my quite a while to get through this book, but that's only because school left time with not enough time, and I couldn't take my Kindle to school and read during homeroom or anything. 

Of course, Rick Riordan's writing style never ceases to please me. I absolutely adored it. I felt all the nostalgia from Percy Jackson when I started reading. The chapter titles are like the Percy Jackson and the Olympians ones - hilarious! 

Overall:
I will read ANYTHING this man writes, especially in this series. I hope he never, ever, ever, ever stops writing, because a world without Rick Riordan would be a very, very sad world.

Here begins the spoiler section. Leave if you wish not to be spoiled!

One of my favourite scenes was the dinner where everyone was sharing their Einherji stories with the people of Valhalla, and then Magnus's story was edited by Gunilla, that brat. Magnus was like "my story was definitely not kickass" and everyone started laughing. I don't know, I just really liked that part.

I also loved the part where Annabeth and Magnus first talked to each other at the memorial. He was trying to explain it so that she doesn't find out about the nine worlds, but she is part of another world too! I was laughing really hard.

The falafel scene was good too, when the eagle takes away their lunch and then Magnus has to go on this whole other quest. When she met that Norse Mythology version of Ariel when he was fishing who collects junk and convinced her to give him the sword. Gosh, it's like the Little Mermaid meets Thor! 

My favourite scene was probably the scene where Blitz was competing with that old dwarf for the rope and the information. I mean "mechanical expandable duck!" "colourful vest/shield!' HOW COULD YOU NOT LAUGH? Or it was the scene where they were chasing down the giantesses and killing them off and then the daddy comes home and Magnus tried to cover it up HI-LA-RI-OUS! 

I have a lot more favourite moments but if I kept going, I would never be able to stop. SO LETS STOP HERE! I will do a separate post including my favourite quotes.

I hope you enjoyed my super-long review of Sword of Summer. What were your thoughts?
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. That's kind of creepy that he's a carbon copy of Percy knowing that Annabeth Chase is his cousin but I'm over analyzing :P
    This is the first insight of Magnus Chase that I've gotten. I have the book but haven't read it yet for some reason. I just worry about it not meeting my expectations.
    Hearth and Blitzen are already my favorite characters :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god.... I never thought of that.... *shudders* You reaaaaaaaaaalllyyyyy need to read it because it's AWESOME! Hearth and Blitx are <3 GOALS!

      Delete
  2. Can you believe I've never read this author? I have always wanted to and I'll be honest, the covers are enough to convince me. Glad you enjoyed this one. I love the name Blitzen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reaaaallllyyyy need to read some Rick Riordan! Yes, the covers are amazing. <3 I know, Blitzen is so cute and unique.

      Delete

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D