Review

15th Affair by James Patterson - Spoiler Free Review | Murders and Romance and Mystery

April 22, 2016

Title: 15th Affair
Author: James Patterson
Series: Womens Murder Club #15
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Publication Date: February 25th 2016
Format Read: Paperback
Publisher: Cornerstone
Rating: ★★★★★
Synopsis:
Detective Lindsay Boxer has everything she could possibly want. Her marriage and baby daughter are perfect, and life in Homicide in the San Francisco Police Department is going well. But all that could change in an instant.
Lindsay is called to a crime scene at the Four Seasons Hotel. There is a dead man in one of the rooms, shot at close range. The man checked in under a false name with no ID on him, so the first puzzle will be finding out who he is.
In the room next door are a dead young man and woman, also shot. They are surrounded by high-tech surveillance equipment. Could they have been spying on the man now dead in the room next to them?
And in the utilities cupboard down the hall is the dead body of a house maid. The murders are all clearly linked and professionally executed. But what is the motive behind it all? Lindsay will need to risk everything she has to find out.

This is not the first James Patterson book I read but it is the first James Patterson mystery I read. Yes, I am aware it's the 15th book in a series but I was told they aren't continuous but more like companion novels. I absolutely loved this, even more than the first few books in the Maximum Ride series by him. 


Plot
The plot itself was exceptionally well planned - especially for a mystery. I didn't predict most of the twists and the solutions and speculations were not cliché or boring. The introductions of the different puzzle pieces to the mystery and the way they were woven into the plot was very natural.

Characters
Lindsay Boxer is a very interesting character. She is a very good mother despite her busy schedule as a cop/detective, but she still manages to do amazingly well at her job. True, she was not invincible but she was very observant, clever and imaginative, traits all detectives could use to their advantage. 

Her partners in anti-crime (see what I did there?) are equally entertaining. Claire was a very concerned friend, Yuki was quite work oriented and Cindy was so... animated (is that an applicable adjective for a human being?) I would have probably got to know the side characters more if I'd read the previous books in the series, as a lot of the focus was on Cindy in this book. 

Mrs Rose, the nanny of little Julie Boxer, was very friendly and always ready to lend a hand. It amazed me how she would rush to the rescue when Lindsay asked for her help. Having a person like her in your life would make you one of the luckiest living beings. 

Joe, the husband... I still don't know what to think of him. I mean, he wasn't very pleasant at the beginning of the book and as the story progressed, that unpleasantness just continued to escalate for me due to various reasons. I don't trust him, but I don't think that's going to change his prominent role in the series. 

The rest of the characters at the San Fransisco Police Department were very intriguing and reading about the close-knit relationship they seemed to have cooked up raised a spark of jealousy and desire within me. 

Writing
This was probably the most fast-paced book that I've read to date. Patterson's writing flows amazingly well. A new chapter starts every 3-5 pages which made progress seem like a huge accomplishment, which was definitely a plus. I sat down to start reading and before I knew it, I was finished. The thought of boredom never once came to me throughout this journey.

Overall, 15th Affair was a fast-paced mystery with incredibly writing, and intricate plot and enjoyable characters. The only flaw I found in the book was the ending, which leaves me to wait impatiently for a year until the next book is released. 

I would advise you not to read the 15th book first, as you will probably be spoiled for something in the previous books (obviously, I wouldn't know.) I definitely plan on reading the rest of the series, but not in order since I started off with the latest release. A definite 5-star novel.

-Rekha 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D