Review

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas - Spoiler Free Review | Which characters do I like? Someone tell me

April 03, 2016

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publication Date: May 5th 2015
Format Read: Paperback
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Rating: ★★★★
Synopsis:
When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it... or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

If you've been here long enough, you know how much I've procrastinated about reading this book. Admittedly, it was very intimidating - both due to its size and due to its genre - which was claimed by some to be high fantasy (again, intimidating.) However, when I actually managed to work up the courage to read this very, very hyped book, I found it to be extremely enjoyable. 

Plot:
This book has an incredibly intriguing plot, where the faerie race has done something extreme that has driven a wedge between the mortals and themselves for a very long time. The two races think of each other as mortal enemies that should be wiped off the face of the Earth. Our main character, Feyre, finds herself in the faerie realm due to the unforeseen consequences of a hunt and - surprise surprise - a somewhat attractive male faerie accompanies her. Feyre is forced to spend her life in the Spring court alongside Tamlin, the aforementioned male faerie, and chaos and romance ensues.

This book has just enough twists and turns to keep me hooked without pushing me too far over the edge. I found certain aspects of Prythian (The realm) unique. This book shines due to its originality - despite it being a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast. Sarah J. Maas fails to disappoint once again - why am I not surprised. 

Characters:
Feyre is one of those strong female protagonists we often tend to see in YA. She is convinced of her "very average" appearance, she is able to hunt down any obstacles passing her way and her family life is definitely not picture perfect. However., the similarities end there. Feyre is responsible of keeping her family alive. She does all the real work and gets her hands dirty while her unsupportive family stands by and criticises her. I found Feyre's complete inability and unwillingness to stand up for herself to people who would not be alive and healthy if it weren't for her extremely frustrating. 

I liked her fascination with painting, and the fact that she had an actual talent rather than just having the ability to kill someone. Her aim and precision while hunting was admirable and praise the lord for not giving us another one of those "i-can't-think-of-anything-but-the-hot-guy-although-I'm-dying" protagonists - for the most part at least. 

Tamlin was, again, one of the stereotypical brooding-hot-guy-who-has-no-heart protagonists at first but as the book progressed, we got to see more of him, more of his real personality. I didn't trust or like him initially but he grew on me, although there were some events in the book that, to this moment, prevent me from trusting him completely. From time to time, Tamlin's extremely bossy, "know-it-all" attitude got in the way of my enjoyment of the book but overall, he wasn't as annoying as some of the other male love interests I've read about. 

Lucien - Damn. This guy just messed up my whole character radar. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's bad, sometimes he's evil, sometimes he's kind but conclusively, he proved to be one of the good guys to me, unlike others who claim the opposite. I personally loved his sarcastic comments throughout the book and if he hadn't made some majorly idiotic choices that almost ended up in several deaths, he would have been my favourite character. I seriously hope he doesn't betray everyone's trust in the next book because I will be heartbroken. 

I honestly still don't know what to make of Rhysand. I definitely do not like him. In my mind, he is, was and will ultimately end up being the worst villain - one that many will love to hate. My gut says I should be able to trust him, since he did help some of the characters in ways that I would have never imagined - although he used very untypical methods. I feel like his intentions are wicked, and I will never be able to look past the terrible things he did. But maybe, just maybe, I won't hate him that much by the end. 

Writing:
Sarah J. Maas's writing is captivating beyond belief. Once you pick up her work, you probably won't be able to put it down until you turn the last page and are left with your mouth open, in utter shock and in urgent need of the sequel. She is an exceptionally good writer who uses great vocabulary. Her worlds are valued and pictured vividly by numerous around the globe. 

Overall, A Court of Thorns and Roses was a fantasy-filled read full of wonderful world building and character development. I definitely recommend it to all readers, especially fantasy lovers and Beauty and the Beast fans. 

-Rekha

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! I absolutely adored it, especially since Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite tales. I really liked how instead of being obsessed with reading like Belle, Feyre is struggling to read, and instead likes to paint. I agree, Lucien just completely threw me off! I couldn't decide whether I trust him or not, but I think I do after the ending. Hopefully he won't do betray it!
    Great review :)
    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so afraid I'd hate the book. I love that feyre has a different obsession from Belle and her reading problems - although problematic at times - was very symbolic of her upbringing. I totally agree about Lucien.. my very well crafted (not really) character radar was shattered to pieces :( PLEASE don't let all that be for nothing...

      Delete
  2. Awesome review, Rekha! So glad you loved this one, too. Tamlin definitely grew on me... quickly. The kindness he showed Feyre from the very beginning really touched me. And Rhysand... I just don't know! I read so many reviews of people saying they adore Rhys and they're all #TeamRhysand... but I'm still on the fence with him. Yes, the "bad guy" can be intriguing but I don't know that he can really be trusted. I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Team Rhysand? There's a Team Rhysand? Bloody hell, those people must be really messed up! I know, Tamlin is just... <3 I don't think I'll ever be able to trust Rhysand though, too unpredictable for my taste.

      Delete

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D