Randomness

Apparently we're all idiots, and all bad guys are saints | The Bad Boy with a Heart of Gold

May 27, 2016

I am so sick and tired of authors creating villains who do horrible things, just to destroy their villain-ness by showing that they're actually saints who can do no wrong. Here is my rant on the:
I love to hate villains. To me, a story without a villain is like pizza without sauce. A good villain is one that we can hate with all our heart and passion, and love to do so. A good villain makes me rant about them for ages in my reviews, but what makes me love the book even more. A good villain is what we're getting less and less these days in YA because they are ruined. 


In a lot of books I've been reading lately, the main antagonist is a hot, brooding male guy. Yes, everyone knows consciously that they are bad, and that they've done terrible things. Somehow, they completely ignore that fact and continue to love them. Yes, love them, not love to hate them. Love them as if they were the protagonist, love them as if they were an actual contender for a ship, love them by ignoring all the horrible, vicious things they've done, assuming they have a reason for their actions because they are attractive, mysterious and brooding. 


I don't know if this is the authors responding to the readers'  reaction to the bad guy, or if it's just the way most people think these days, but 90% of the time, the "Bad guy" who is a supposedly vile, disgusting creature turns into Mother Theresa after a few pages of the female protagonist thinking how hot he is. WHY? I feel like sometimes, authors find every single tiny way possible to make the supposed antagonist seem heroic. Sometimes, they go so far as to completely destroy and bash the male protagonist to make the "antagonist" seem like a saviour in comparison. And most of us just fall for it.



I admit, I've read many, many books with this trope and I have not been able to restrain myself from falling into this almost unescapable trap. Recently, my eyes have been opened to this situation by a particular book, which has been getting rave reviews. Reviews from people who don't realise what is happening. Reviews from people whose minds are clouded and possessed by this particular trope. I am so sorry.

How is it fair? Why do you feel the need to do that? Both male protagonists and antagonists seem to go through major and complete personality transplants when it comes to this trope, so much so that that you can barely recognise them anymore. The male protagonist suddenly becomes the worst person in the world, and everything that they've done in previous books/pages is blatantly ignored and completely invalidated. The antagonist suddenly becomes the best person on Earth, and every single horrible thing they've done somehow magically had an explanation, often accompanied with a tragic backstory, and their appalling behaviour has been completely excused and  dismissed without a second thought in the blink of an eye. 


Just because you've been treated badly in life does't mean you get a "get out of jail free" card for any terrible treatment you've given. Imagine if murderers were let off the hook because they had a horrible  life at home, no friends and were bullied. Imagine if terrorists were pardoned without punishment because their one and only love was killed in front of their eyes. Yes, they had a horrible life, we're sorry about that, but it is not fair to simply overlook their atrocious conduct.

Okay, fine. The antagonist is actually a saint. I can accept that with time (maybe). But do you have to destroy and obliterate my beloved protagonist to get your wish? Do you need to completely nullify all their good qualities and good actions just so you can make your antagonist shine? Please stop. I cannot take this anymore. I understand when villains have a reason behind their actions that make the action seem less terrible, but trying to make it seem like whatever they've done is completely and utterly justified is going over the top. Saying "I killed your whole family because they are bad people, and you deserve better family than that" is not an explanation, just a measly excuse. Unfortunately, it's things like that we seem to accept these days. Measly excuses. *sigh*


*Rant Over*

What are your thoughts?
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D