Blog Tour

Blog Tour: Review - Halendor: First Light by Lloyd Marshall

June 15, 2016

Author: Lloyd Marshal
Title: Halendor: First Light
Genre: Urban/Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Release Date: April 25th 2016
Buy Link
Synopsis: 
Aurora is the only daughter of two of Fredan’s most influential figures, but all of the money in the world can’t help her feel as if she belongs in that world. Gifted, or cursed, with telekinetic abilities that she hasn’t told her two best friends about, let alone her family, Aurora soon learns that she isn’t as unique, or out of place, as she had once believed.
The Elements have been hidden where no one would think to look, so Lisa has come to the backwater of the galaxy, Earth, to find them. She has a very specific mission: locate and inform five extraordinarily powered people that their lives are not what they thought. In fact, they have the ability to access vast planes of elemental magic and are known throughout the universe as the Elements.
Together they will have to overcome seemingly insurmountable forces possessing potent abilities and even more dangerous goals. Throw in two federal agents tasked with keeping Earth from ever knowing anything about supernatural events, and Aurora is in for a wild ride.

About the Author:
I grew up all over southern California and Washington state, with a smattering of locations about Oregon, Nevada, and Hawaii, and with each move I learned about new cultures and ideas.Many people have interests in literature and fiction, but few people have ever thought themselves so ambitious that they would chose to write and publish a book every single week. This is the promise of Lloydd Marshall and BLGM Reserve Estates, with a new trilogy dropping weekly, while a new Halendor Arc will drop on the last Monday of each month.Writing has been a passion, and through my life moving has always been a constant which has exposed me to various people and ideas about the United States and has only increased my love of writing. With each book, I hope to reach new people who will enjoy what I create.

Review
I didn't expect this book to be as good as it was. It was a very interesting read. I loved the way the characters completely transformed while using magic, and I love how the characters handled all the magic and all the new creatures and situations in their life.

Aurora was a great character. At first I though she was going to be one of those typical, stereo-typed rich girls: spoiled, bratty, horrible social skills. However, she surprised me. She had a brain and knew very well ow to use it. She did have a lot, and I mean A LOT (she had her own freaking SUITE in her bedroom. Dayyyyuuuuummmm) but she didn't throw that around. She was quite distant from her family, her brothers being very different interest-wise and her parents being extremely busy and unable to spare a lot of time. However, I'm glad she didn't take that as a reason to be depressed and pessimistic but was able to realise and understand that they still loved her. 

I loved the friendship between Savannah, Tabitha and Aurora. They were the best of friends, and I loved the scenes towards the beginning of the book where they would just chill around as buddies, having the time of their lives. Their friendly conversations were interesting and it was weird how normal that relationship, that easy-going best friends dynamic added a huge air of normalcy to the book despite the huge presence of elemental magic. That was one of my favourite parts of the book.

Lisa, the main "federal agent" was an okay character. I found it sort of.... tactless how she broke the news about magic to people who thought they were normal. She could have been a bit more careful. I understand she didn't have a lot of time to kill and she had to be quick, but dude, imagine what those poor elements must be going through!

At some times this book did feel a bit like the cliché "chosen one" novels, but it did manage to shine in the aspect of the actual magic. The way the magic was recited in these weird catchphrases felt a bit like "powderpuff girls" or a cheesy animé at times but I found the fact that the characters transformed into these angel-like creatures fascinating. Sometimes, it felt like the characters, especially Aurora, were accepting and processing the situation too well, suspiciously well. It felt unnatural that they would start applying new logic, logic that took the magic situation into consideration, to their everyday lives barely a day after they had been thrown into this new world.

Overall, it was a pretty good read. It was a bit hard to get into but once the magic was introduced, which is pretty soon, I flew through this. Although it felt a bit too quick and unexplained at times, the premise and characters made up for that and managed to keep me entertained. I give it a ★★★.75.  

Danielle Romero 
Book Blogger | Coffee and Characters | www.coffeeandcharacters.com/blog | @DanielleCRomero

Coffee and Characters Author Services | www.coffeeandcharacters.com

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. It sounds quite interesting though I guess I try to avoid Chosen One stories. I probably shouldn't do that anyway (and I made an exception for Carry On). I'll keep this one in mind. The magical catchphrases sound funny!
    Great review, Rekha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting, although chosen one stories can be very repetitive. CARRY ON WAS SOOOOOO GOOOD I just finished it a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it. Haha, yeah, they were pretty hilarious. Thanks!

      Delete

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D