3.5 stars

I get it, your marriage is highly complicated | Landline by Rainbow Rowell - Spoiler-free review

June 22, 2016


Title: Landline
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Standalone Novel
Genre: Contemporary
Publication Date: July 8th 2014
Format Read: Audiobook
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Rating: ★★★.5
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble; it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.
Maybe that was always beside the point.
Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her.
When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.
That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts...

This is definitely not my favourite Rainbow Rowell book, but it was okay.

Georgi McCool - (Her name) (I mean, I guess she's a nice person and all.) McCOOL? Really? That could have been so cheesy but it was pretty awesome. With a name like that in the show business, there's no way you'll fail.

Young Georgi and Neal - They were just such a cute couple back in the day before Georgi's life took over. They were so... weird and yet so adorable with all their small talk, which was actually interesting. I loved how Georgi would go over to Neal's desk and start chatting randomly, and he replied to her random mumblings absentmindedly while drawing. <3

Georgi's Job - She worked as a script-writer for a comedy. This is very cool, because a) it meant she was funny (which she was) and b) it's just a really cool job! ( I would love to do it, but I'm horrible at jokes.)  I loved the scenes at work. She and two colleagues, Seth and Scotti, were working together and would constantly get into the most tiny, useless arguments (Which was hilarious, HA HA HAA.) 

Georgi's narrative - Since she's a comedy writer and all, her POV was very entertaining, and I did find myself cracking a smile quite often. Maybe it was the audiobook narrator, but I just found Georgi's dialogue really captivating, and it made me want to keep reading (listening? Do I use audiobook terms because I listened to the audiobook or....? Someone teach me the rules!!) 

Heather - YES! Heather, Georgi's little step-sister was my favourite character in this book. She was a pretty spunky teenager with a lot of courage. She knew what she wanted and she would get what she wanted, and I liked that about her. 

Georgi's Mom - Okay, yes, she was quite annoying and unsupportive at times but come on, she was hilarious! She made me laugh my butt off multiple times, and her voice in the Audiobook was also very comedic. Also, I have a slight tendency to enjoy reading/ranting about annoying characters, making me like the book more.


Seth - I cannot express in words how much I hated Seth, old and young. When they were young and Neal and Georgi found each other, Seth got jealous. JEALOUS! He was sleeping with every female specimen in the country except Georgi when she did like him (for that tiny period of time) but when she finally finds someone, he HAS to discourage the prospect of a relationship and do everything to try and ruin it. GO AWAY! I also just found him to be a complete jackass.  

Neal's jealousy of Seth - Come ON! No sane woman would be willing to pursue a relationship with Mr. Douchebag (Seth) so stop worrying about Georgi, YOUR WIFE, and Seth. 

Georgi's constant whining and paranoia - I felt like she was either a) crying, b) feeling sorry for herself, c) blaming herself, or d) all of the above during majority of this book. Since she was the narrator, this was a HUGE problem. She could have kept herself together a bit more and not fell apart the second her guy showed some sign of disagreement or anger. 

The ending - Way too quick. Lot's of loose ends. Needs a book-long epilogue. There were a lot of questions left unanswered (for me, at least,) and it was way too unnatural that after so much tension and hostility, the ending was so quick. The build up was there, and it kept going and then it just stopped, and the book ended. 

Overall, it was an okay book with some good characters and good scenes. I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed some of her other books, but it was a tolerable read. 

Have you read this book? Did you like it/hate it/love it/detest it...? Are you interesting in reading this book if you haven't already? If you've read it, do  you think it lives up to her other works? Let's chat down in the comments! 
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've heard mixed reviews on Landline, but it does sound really good. It's magical realism, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does involve magical realism but it's mostly just a contemporary with a magical time-travel landline. It's a pretty good read.

      Delete

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D