5 stars

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson - Spoiler-Free Review | I am unable to withstand the epicness

June 12, 2016

Title: The Alloy of Law
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: Wax and Wayne #1, Mistborn #4
Genre: High Fantasy
Publication Date: November 8th 2011
Format Read: Paperback
Publisher: Tor Books
Rating: ★★★★★
Synopsis:
Centuries after the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity - railroads, electric street lights, and skyscrapers. Waxillium Ladrian can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After 20 years in the dusty Roughs, in the city of Elendel, the new head of a noble house may need to keep his guns.

WARNING: SPOILERS FOR THE ORIGINAL MISTBORN TRILOGY, BUT NOT FOR THIS BOOK

I mean, I didn't think that after Mistborn, I could enjoy anything else by Brandon Sanderson because of my continuous comparison to the epicness of the original trilogy, but I did really love this book.

Plot:
So, a lot of time has passed since our beloved characters from Mistborn have showcased their badass-ness and made a lot of changes to the world. Sazed is still around, being God, but basically everybody else we knew is gone. We follow Waxillium Ladrian, a noble-blooded man with lots of power and his best buddy, Wayne, a conner who loves hats and is unbelievably great at imitating accents. They both have Allomantic and Feruchemical powers and are "Twinborn." Wax thinks the Roughs, kind of like the Skaa slums, are much more dangerous than the City but he could be very long.

The plot, as you would expect with Sanderson, is very interesting. The plot twists were definitely not held back, although they weren't as epic as the Mistborn ones, and the premise always kept you on your toes, giving you enough information to keep you in the loop but leaving out enough so you'd have to keep reading or you'd die thinking about all the different possibilities. I didn't think using guns on the side of Allomancy and Feruchemy was as exciting as using dulling canes, daggers and coins, but it was action-packed nonetheless. I loved the action and fighting involved, and all the cunning plots and plans. Overall, an incredibly engaging premise. 

Characters:
Wax was an interesting character. I was surprised that he was so old, around 42 years of age, but that definitely didn't take away from has ability to be bad-ass. He loved sketching out his thoughts in an infographic manner, and although he liked to be organised, he could pull quite a few surprises. His backstory was very intriguing and had me feeling very sorry for him. I admired his leader-like stature and his willingness to do anything to keep a promise. He was a great character.

Wayne was amazing! I loved his childishness and joking attitude, and his ability to imitate basically anything or anyone was uncanny. His constant kidding around and banter was hilarious and kept me entertained. He also had really, really cool feruchemical and allomantic powers, a great combination of them. Wayne's backstory almost had me crying as well. I just want to gather him up in a huge bear hug. I don't know how he manages to crack jokes about everything after experiences like that.

Marasi wasn't a bad character. She was smart, loyal, well informed about the human mind and very young compared to the other characters. I found it funny how she would start blushing violently very easily. I wish I could major in criminal psychology, something similar to what she was studying at college. I found her to be a bit annoying when she was crushing on superheroes, but she was the least mature of the lot. Her age didn't take away from her courage, though.

There were many more interesting side characters as well. My favourite was Ranette. She was a crazy maniac who could definitely be trusted. She was loyal but wouldn't hesitate to shoot you if you got on her nerves. I loved the constant to-and-fro between Ranette and Wayne. 

Writing:
Brandon Sanderson is a master of fantasy. I don't know what he does, or how he does it, but he manages to blow me away every single freaking time. His writing is just incredibly easy to read and enjoy reading. 

Overall, it's a great book with amazing characters, writing and an incredible plot. Although it doesn't come anywhere near to to the level of greatness the original trilogy had, it was great start to a new series/trilogy.

What are your thoughts?
-Rekha
Brandon Sanderson is a master of fantasy. I don't know what he does, or how he does it, but he manages to blow me away every single freaking time. His writing is just incredibly easy to read and enjoy reading. 

Overall, it's a great book with amazing characters, writing and an incredible plot. Although it doesn't come anywhere near to to the level of greatness the original trilogy had, it was great start to a new series/trilogy.

What are your thoughts?
-Rekha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D