4 stars

Fangirls go WAY too far | Follow Me Back by A.V Geiger - Spoiler-Free Review

August 09, 2017

Title: Follow Me Back
Author: A.V Geiger
Series: Follow Me Back #1
Genre: YA Contemporary/Mystery/Thriller
Publication Date: June 6th 2017
Format Read: Ebook
Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis:
Tessa Hart’s world feels very small. Confined to her bedroom with agoraphobia, her one escape is the online fandom for pop sensation Eric Thorn. When he tweets to his fans, it’s like his speaking directly to her…
Eric Thorn is frightened by his obsessive fans. They take their devotion way too far. It doesn’t help that his PR team keeps posting to encourage their fantasies.
When a fellow pop star is murdered at the hands of a fan, Eric knows he has to do something to shatter his online image fast—like take down one of his top Twitter followers. But Eric’s plan to troll @TessaHeartsEric unexpectedly evolves into an online relationship deeper than either could have imagined. And when the two arrange to meet IRL, what should have made for the world’s best episode of Catfish takes a deadly turn…

I really did not expect this book to be very good. but oh my goodness, it was great.

This book follows Tessa, who has agoraphobia and hasn't left the house in months since it was triggered by a certain event. The only people she really sees are her therapist, her boyfriend and her mother. She is obsessed with a singer called Eric Thorn. Literally. She saves all the pictures she finds of him and calms down by counting in Erics. Like "One Eric, Two Eric, Three Eric...". She is the literal definition of extreme fangirl. 

Eric Thorn is frightened by such extreme fangirls, and tries to lower the buzz around him by creating a hate account for himself and tying to convince his biggest fan, Tessa, that he is a douchebag and to stop idolizing him. However, things take an unexpected turn. 

Tessa is a really good person. She actually follows those inspirational sayings on tumblr and tries her best to "be nice always." I felt for her, because everybody in her life was losing their patience with her since she wasn't able to leave the house or do anything except sit around in her room. When we found out what the event was that made her condition this bad, I was very surprised. It was not at all what I expected. I was very, very creeped out. 

Eric Thorn was also an interesting character to follow. He struggles with being famous, and finds it hard to deal with all the obligations that come with it. He doesn't want to advertise himself the way his PR team wants him to, and he fears that nobody likes him for his music anymore but only for his body. I know being rich and famous isn't even remotely close to the biggest problem you can have, but it was horrible seeing his life being taken out of his hands. He lived for publicity, for sales,  for the "fans" and not for himself. I really enjoyed reading from a celebrity's point of view.

The interaction between Eric and Tessa was fun to read about and quite comical since Eric knew who he was talking to but Tessa didn't know she was talking to Eric Thorn. I liked that they actually talked a lot and got to know each other before fully trusting each other or claiming their undying and everlasting love for each other. Both were skeptical when they started talking to each other, which was more realistic than other books I've read similar to this. 

Follow Me Back will surprise you. I guarantee that. You think you know where it's going but you do not. Oh no. That ending absolutely threw me, I did not expect it at all! I cannot wait to read the sequel!

This book really teaches you something about talking to strangers online, interacting with random people on social media and how stalker-like fangirlness might not necessarily be well received on the other side. The only reason I didn't give it a full 5 stars is because I always find it hard to accept love stories like this, when you don't even know the person, you've never seen them in real life and you "claim" you love them. It's just... they might be a serial killer or something! You never know. 

Overall, it's a really quick contemporary read with a few mystery/thriller elements which I recommend to any fangirl/fanboy who has ever been obsessed with anything.

-Rekha


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've seen this book around but hadn't read the synopsis but now I might just have to pick it up! I have never been the type too fangirl over thing, I guess it comes with naturally just being a pretty calm person, I have a hard time getting hyped for things and I always feel like I'm missing out somehow. XD But I do find this subject to be very interesting and true to life though. Awesome review, I'm definitely adding this to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Calm? What's that? I commend you on your calm nature, because I tend to get a bit overhyped... or a LOT overhyped. You probably don't want the pain of hyping something up so high and then being disappointed. Luckily, you also miss out on the weird looks people give you when you fangirl >_<. I'm glad I persuaded you, and made you TBR pile even bigger. :D

      Delete

Hey There! *Waves Frantically* Thanks for stopping by! Please share your thoughts down below! I love reading and replying to comments! Comments make me happy :D